Transforming Bricks and Mortar
7 november–12 december 2021
Open call for Konsthall C’s Research Station winter/spring 2022 Transforming Bricks and Mortar.
Konsthall C is a public work of art, an urban renewal project and an art institution located in a former communal laundry in Hökarängen, Stockholm since 2004. Konsthall C is a a nonprofit organisation whose main objective is to be a leading actor in socially engaged practices, supporting new curatorial and artistic experiments and thinking. We aim to be a strong and visible actor in Hökarängen, by connecting our activities to Hökarängen’s history, local associations and development. We are committed to delivering a cultural program linked to questions concerning social justice, democracy and urban development.
Konsthall C’s AiR-platform The Research Station welcomes artists, researchers, writers and activists to apply for Transforming Bricks and Mortar, our two upcoming residencies focusing on the transformative potential in building a decolonial art institution from inside and out.
The objective of the residency is to address Konsthall C as an infrastructure and explore possible futures for an organization that wants to work not only with decolonization but in a decolonial way. Applicants should demonstrate innovative methods based on mutual learning and joint exploration of new ideas and approaches.
The resident will work in close proximity to the staff and our program through engagement with Konsthall C’s history, its future ambitions, relevance in the community and its approach to (re)presenting art.
Selected applicants are invited to work with any aspect of Konsthall C’s organisational structure and program to help uncover new ways of building an accountable and open institutional structure. We are searching for proposals that engage directly with ideas of how art institutions should organise their work to not mute and devalue the artistic decolonial practices exhibited within its program. We want to explore the relationship between decoloniality and contemporary art. We have started to identify the injustice and structural issues in our institution, then how do we unlearn the practices and behaviors that have emerged from these conditions, and seek to build anew along antiracist and decolonized lines.
We will select two residents to work alongside us for eight weeks during the winter and spring of 2022. Your background should display hybrid modes of thought, research, and practice within a decolonial framework. You can come from anywhere in the world.
1: February 1 – March 13
2: May 11 – June 26
Deadline: December 12 at 11 PM.
- We collaborate in Swedish or English
- The stay is six weeks with two weeks at home for writing and reflection on the process and residency.
- You will receive a monthly fee of 29 580 SEK / month before VAT. The same as everyone else at Konsthall C.
- Accommodation, travel and covid-tests are paid for by Konsthall C.
- You will stay in our Research Station around the corner from Konsthall C. It's a compact “tiny-house” suitable for one person.
- There will be a production budget for the implementation of talks, smaller projects initiated by the resident.
- Each resident is asked to submit a written text summarizing their residency period at the latest one month after the end of their residency period.
- Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria: relevance to the decolonial structural process at Konsthall C and relevance for the community of Hökarängen